The United States of America (also referred to as the United States, the U.S, the USA, or America) is a federal constitutional republic comprising fifty states and a federal district. The country is situated mostly in central North America, where its forty-eight contiguous states and Washington, D.C., the capital district, lie between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, bordered by Canada to the north and Mexico to the south. The state of Alaska is in the northwest of the continent, with Canada to the east and Russia to the west across the Bering Strait. The state of Hawaii is an archipelago in the mid-Pacific. The country also possesses several territories in the Caribbean and Pacific.
Facts & Figures:
- USA consists of 50 states and a Federal District.
- Washington DC is the capital of USA.
- The total area covered by USA is 9,525,067, which is 4th largest in the world.
- The total Population of USA is 325,286,000, which is 3rd largest in the world.
- While the National Language is English, Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language in USA.
- The per capita income (PPP) of USA is 57,220, which is 10th largest in the world.
Why Study In USA?
- Around 300 of the top 500 universities in the world are from USA.
- USA offers the widest range of options for students in terms of courses and tuition fees.
- International undergraduate satisfaction in the UK is very high, at 91% overall. Meanwhile, 85% of international undergraduates would recommend or actively recommend their UK study experience, higher than any major English-speaking study destinations. (UK International Unit, December 2015).
- USA is the most popular destination for all the international student from around the world.
- USA offers huge scholarship opportunities for international students.
- USA offers OPT for international students allowing them to work after completion of their academic degrees.
Working While Studying:
- International students are allowed to work 20 Hours per week on campus while semester is running.
- During the semester breaks, the hourly restrictions do not apply.
- Students can apply for CPT with their institution which will allow them to work off campus but only in their field of study.
Opportunities After Studies
- After completing their studies, International students are provided with OPT (Optional Practical Training) which will allow them to Work full time off campus in their field of study for up to 12 months.
- Students with STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) degrees are have an option to extend their OPT for further 24 months.
Visa requirements for USA
A student visa is must if you want to study in United States. Your program and type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.
Visa Application Fee
Non-Immigrant Visa Application Fee US $160 in Indian Rupee equivalent at a consular rate of exchange. The visa fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Create a profile at www.ustraveldocs.com.
- Complete the DS- 160 Visa application form at www.ceac.state.gov. The form must be completed and submitted online prior to your interview. The barcode number on the form DS - 160 confirmation page is required to book your interview.
- Before confirming a visa interview appointment online, you need to pay the visa application fee which can be paid by IMPS or NEFT or Cash over Counter in an authorized Bank
- Proceed to schedule two appointments.
First, schedule your visa interview appointment at the Embassy or Consulate. Second, schedule your Offsite Facilitation Center (OFC) appointment. OFC appointment must be scheduled at least one day before the interview appointment date at the Embassy or Consulate.
List of Documents required in original for Student Visa
- Passport should be valid for at least six months.
- Visa fee receipt, DS-160 confirmation page and interview appointment letter.
- Form I-20 in original, approved and signed by the University authority.
- Relevant test scores e.g. GRE & TOEFL or SAT / GMAT
- Original printout of receipt of SEVIS fee paid of $ 200 (non-refundable).
- Original degree certificates along with mark sheets of previous institutions attended. (10th, 12th & Bachelors).
- Experience Certificates from the previous and current employer if any.
- Evidence of financial resources proof of liquid assets sufficient to pay for the entire first year of education and living expenses as well as proof of readily available funds to cover the remaining year(s) of studies.
- An F-1 applicant must have evidence of sufficient and readily available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study, and that barring unforeseen circumstances adequate funds will be available for each subsequent year of study.
You must have completed a course of study required for enrolment at the level of study contemplated, and present transcripts of at least two years of academic work completed. External examinations like TOEFL, GRE, SAT and GMAT help to establish your seriousness as a student. Also, you must be able to demonstrate sufficient English language capability for your intended course of study in the USA.
The decision about one's case can be known after an interview. If you are issued a visa, your passport will be returned to you by the Blue Dart courier service